Friday, November 28, 2008

Lemon Meringue Pie

This is a simple and quick Lemon Meringue pie. We are going to use Jello Brand Lemon Pie filling. I will show you how to make a lemon pie from scratch in another post, but since I am making this along with my other Thanksgiving pies, I want to do it quick and easy.


Start with a baked pie shell


1 4.3 oz pk Lemon Pie filling
Make sure it is the cook and serve- not istant
You are going to combine the mix with
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3 egg yolks

There are lots of ways to seperate the yolks from the whites
This is one of them. You crack the egg into the seperator and let the whites drain off
Even though I have this tool, I don't use it very often
I do it the following way


Crack the egg and drop it into my hand


Let the white slip through my fingers


It slips rather quickly.
A lot quicker than through the tool.
Be sure not to break the yolk. You are going to use the whites for your meringue and they can't have any yolk in them.

After stirring the mix, sugar, water and egg yolks together
add 2 1/2 cups more of water

The secret to smooth pudding pies is this--
STIR CONSTANTLY until it comes to a full boil
This is what a full boil looks like. The mixture will go from cloudy to clear
then it will start bubbling. Wait for it to be bubbling all over, not just in a couple of spots.
Take it off of the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes then pour into pie crust.
Now we are going to make the meringue.
We need to beat the egg whites from above.
I like to use a copper bowl, because the egg whites beat up fluffier, but my hand mixer is broken
and my copper bowl doesn't fit on my KitchenAid

These are the attachments for mixing things
The whisk, bread hook, and paddle
I am going to use the whisk for meringue and whipped cream

Put the room tempurature egg whites in the bowl and beat them on high speed until foamy
Gradually add in 1/3 cup sugar and continue beating on high speed


You want to beat them until stiff peaks form.
It will look like this
See the little peak that formed when I lifted the whisk out?
Spread the meringue on your cooled lemon pie


You can leave it like that but I like to make cute little mountains on mine
Place your spatula (or a knife works as well) lightly on the meringue

And lift- making a peak

Make them all over your pie
Bake at 350*F for 15-20 minutes
or until your meringue is lightly browned.
Watch your pie the last 5 minutes because the meringue will burn quickly once it has browned.
Cool at room temperature at least 4 hours.

0 comments: