Sunday, August 2, 2015

Strawberry Cheesecake Crescent Ring


This is my first Blog Food Trial.  Strawberry Cheesecake Crescent Ring.
First the recipe then my experience.


Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 2 pieces


Ingredients
  • 2 (8 oz) tubes crescent rolls
  • 1 can (21 ounce) Lucky Leaf strawberry pie filling
  • 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • Glaze
  • 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 2-3 tsp milk

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Unroll crescent dough and separate into triangles. Arrange triangles on a 14 inch greased pizza pan with points toward the outside and wide ends overlapping at the center, leaving a 4 inch opening in the center. Press overlapping dough to seal.
  3. In a medium sized mixing bowl cream the cream cheese, sugar and almond extract until smooth.
  4. Spoon strawberry pie filling over the wide ends of the crescent rolls. Top strawberry pie filling with cream cheese mixture. Fold pointed ends of triangles over filling, tucking points under to form a ring. The filling will be visible.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crescents are golden brown.Cool 5 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile mix powdered sugar and milk together, drizzle over crescent ring. Serve.

Review and experience

This is a pretty easy, straight forward, and quick recipe.



1.) Be sure you read and take note of sizes of ingredients.  I don't use a lot of ready made items and NEVER use the tubes of rolls. I had no idea there were so many sizes and kinds of crescent rolls.  I got the GRANDS.  I should have gotten the original.  If I had checked the size I would have been fine.  The GRANDS worked fine, but the results would have been better with the right size.

2.)  I could not find strawberry filling anywhere.  I ended up with mixed berry.  It was pretty sweet, I thought. No one else said that but I would have preferred to use a filling that wasn't so sweet.  Maybe apple or cherry.

3.) I wish there had been pictures with the recipe so I could better understand what she meant by Arrange triangles on a 14 inch greased pizza pan.  I might not have freaked out so much when my pointed ends hung over the edge.  WAY over the edge.  Of course, the correct size of rolls would have helped as well.


There was no way I was going to get a 4 inch opening in the middle with these huge rolls unless I had a bigger pan.  Which I didn't. I let my son and daughter in law have it because they use it more than I ever did.

4.) Spoon the filling over the large ends.

5.) Spoon the cream cheese mixture over that.


6.) Fold the pointed ends up and over the filing, tuck them under to form a ring.  Again, would have been easier with the correct sizes of stuff.

7.) Bake.  My filling oozed out a bit and I imagine it would ooze out even more if I had done this, again, with the correct size of rolls.

8.) Mix and drizzle the glaze.   I had oodles of glaze and ended up not using it all because there was so much.  I am glad I didn't use it all because it was so sweet anyway.   I also used canned milk just because I like that flavor mixed with powdered sugar better than regular milk.  




I then put mine in a box, put it in the back of my car and left for a picnic with my kids.  They all liked it and a couple of the boys had seconds. But I still brought about 1/4 of it home.  I warmed up one slice of it and ate it for lunch the next day and it was still super sweet.

I will probably make this again, but get the correct can size of rolls and use either apple or cherry filling because this was just way too sweet for me. Especially since I don't eat sugar and sweet stuff very often.

*********************************************************************************

Live Well, Eat Well


0 comments: